Terminating rights ?

This is a discussion on Terminating rights ? within the Family Law Questions forums, part of the Legal Questions & Answers Forum category; I took the father of my daughter to court in 2009 to terminate his rights. He had abandon her, not paid child support and had a drug problem. He was ...

Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Points: 4, Level: 1
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 10.0%

    Terminating rights ?

    I took the father of my daughter to court in 2009 to terminate his rights. He had abandon her, not paid child support and had a drug problem. He was put on "probation" to see if he was fit to be a parent. He was also ordered to pay my attorney fees. Well this summer it will be 2 years since he has had any contact and he now owes $31,000 in child support. He also hasn't paid my attonery fees so my lawyer wont talk to me. I have spent thousands of dollars the last 6 years and cannot afford a lawyer. My husband who has been her father since she was one wants to adopt her. I live in Arizona and have no idea what to do or were to start. I know I have a good case I just need to know how to get it going again without a lot of money. Thank you

  2. #2
    Points: 110,886, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Created Blog entryOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Have you tried contacting the court to see what is the status of your request for the termination of parental rights you filed in 2009?
    Legal Disclaimer: Answers to questions on this forum are for informational and educational purposes only and do not constitute Legal Advice. No attorney-client relationship is established through this forum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Points: 557, Level: 11
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 43
    Overall activity: 98.0%
    Overdrive31 days registered500 Experience Points
    Frequent Poster

    Contact a local "not for profit" or charitable adoption organization. Trade off the arrears and such (which you will not collect from this dead beat anyway) for his signature on an adoption certification. Then forget the past and go on with your "new" family. Should happen fairly quickly and with little pain unless the ex objects. The point is you must make him an offer he cannot refuse. I doubt he gives much of a damn about his daughter and would just as soon write her off if the deal is good for him.


Similar Threads

  1. How can i stop my landlord from terminating my lease on false allegations
    By vermontcountry73 in forum Real Estate and Property Law Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 10:41 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2012, 08:47 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2012, 06:08 AM
  5. Video: Terminating Alimony Payments
    By Legal Help in forum Video Comments Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 05:09 PM